Thursday, August 20, 2009

Please Keep Your Arms and Hands Inside the Ride at All Times!

What a roller coaster ride!! I ended up going into the office yesterday morning as opposed to working from home. Logan was a little out of it, but I figured he'd be ok - at least for a few hours. I came back home for a late lunch to try to feed him, and found him alone in the office lying in a pool of drool, wouldn't lift his head and barely opened his eyes. He was also burning up and panting. Took his temp and it was above the max we're supposed to allow it to get to before we take him to the emergency vet (103.5 - Logan's was 103.9). I couldn't get him to stand up and walk. I had to use a beach towel under his back end to get him out to the car. He was in some sad, sad shape. I took him to our regular vet because he's closest. They checked him quick in the waiting room to make sure it wasn't a real bad emergency, and we waited for 2 hours.

Basically, Logan's white blood cell count has been completely knocked out by the chemo. The vet said it was the lowest count he's ever seen in his career! So, as you know - this opens his system up to infection. Well, that's what the high fever was for.....his body was fighting some sort of infection (not exactly sure where - could be anything, even just the general bacteria that's always in his stomach - just like humans). They also did an x-ray of his lungs (doc said they sounded very "harsh"). They're still clear - at least in the area he x-rayed. They kept him for another 2 hours for the x-ray and another fluid IV and added an antibiotic fluid this time. I came home in the meantime, and had myself pretty convinced the cancer had spread to his lungs, etc. I was 99% sure I'd have to call my husband and prepare him for the "decision". But...nope...clear lungs. My husband was able to skip his work dinner with clients and met me back home to help me get the pup out of the car and into the house.

The drugs started to kick in, and he had to keep the catheter in in case they needed it again today. Thank god we're not doing anymore chemo!! He was a total mess this time and much worse than round 1. Our vet says they call Adriamycin the "red devil"..... I can see why!!

It's been a week since round 2, so hopefully by the weekend, he'll be more like his old self.

No comments:

Post a Comment